Two Israeli soldiers were killed and three others were injured in a car ramming attack on Friday afternoon in the northern West Bank, according to the Israeli military and emergency services.
The attack happened at 4:15 p.m. near the settlement of Reihan, about 25 kilometers west of Jenin, the military said.
The Palestinian driver was evacuated to an Israeli hospital for treatment, said Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesman Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus. The driver is being questioned.
Earlier emergency services said three people had been injured. Conricus added that the ramming was a deliberate attack by the driver.
The military said the soldiers were securing the routes around the settlement of Mevo Dotan in the northern West Bank.
In response to the attack, Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman tweeted, “We will seek the death penalty for the terrorist, the destruction of his home, and punishment for anyone else involved.”
“This is terror that is promoted by [President Mahmoud Abbas] and the Palestinian Authority that pays money to the families of terrorists. We will stop them,” he added.
Israel announced that it would immediately suspend work permits for the driver’s entire family, including 67 employment permits in Israel, 26 trade permits, and four employment permits in communities.
Hamas praised the attack, calling for an “escalation of the Jerusalem Intifada to increase the cost of the occupier.” Spokesman Fawzi Barhoom said the attack was “an affirmation of the insistence of the Palestinian people to continue the path of the resistance with all its means.” Palestinian Islamic Jihad also praised the attack, claiming “there is no security and stability for this occupation.”